A system bringing modern surgical care to all
RAIS is a surgical lift system, designed to enable laparoscopic surgery in rural or low-resource healthcare facilities. Currently over 5 billion people worldwide lack access to surgery: the RAIS system has been developed in response, by a multidisciplinary team in the UK and India, to improve global access to surgery.
RAIS works by mechanically lifting the abdominal wall, creating a space in the abdominal cavity to conduct laparoscopic surgery. The technique, called GILLS (Gas Insufflation-Less Laparoscopic Surgery) removes the need for general anaesthetic, CO2 gas and expensive instrumentation which are inaccessible to rural healthcare facilities.
RAIS provides a cost-effective, modern and standards compliant system to enable GILLS and improve patient treatment across the globe.
A critical need for safe access to surgery
Surgery is fundamental to modern healthcare, capable of treating nearly one-third of global disease.
Unfortunately, two-thirds of the world’s population have no access to safe and affordable surgery (over 5 billion worldwide)
These people typically live in low-to-middle income countries – they lack access to surgical care due to limitations in The RAIS device for global surgery training, infrastructure and equipment.
Addressing the challenge
A new technique, Gas Insufflation-Less Laparoscopic Surgery (GILLS) has been developed in India
It allows laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery to be performed in low-resource settings
GILLS brings advantages of laparoscopic surgery
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery time
- Ability to visualise the abdominal organs without open surgery
- Fewer complications, especially surgical site infections
- Less scarring
RAIS – a new system to bring GILLS to all
RAIS provides an innovative and modern solution for surgeons to deliver GILLS
Developed by a multidisciplinary collaboration across the UK and India
[show project partner logos]
RAIS has been closely designed and evaluated with surgical experts working in low resource areas
The system is designed to be more intuitive to set up, easy to dissemble to fit in an autoclave, lighter weight and rugged for transportation, improved surgical usability, surgeon-controlled lift and cost effective to manufacture.
- Designed to be transported in a compact case
- Packaged system weighs <10kg and fits airline hand-luggage
- Achieves comparable views to laparoscopic surgery in target procedures
- Compatible with a range of body sizes
- Intuitive and fast configuration of the system
- Adjustment controlled by surgeon (without need for assistant)
- Secure attachment to both standard operating tables and rail-less beds
- Designed for sterilisation via flash/standard autoclave
- A system compatible with a range of autoclaves
- Robust and easy to maintain
- Brining excellent surgical performance